The benefits of butterfly pea flowers can be used for various diseases. Aside from being a decoration, butterfly pea flowers also have abundant benefits as herbs. In fact, many people have used this flower as an alternative medicine since long time ago.
The beauty of this butterfly pea flower comes from its bright color. The butterfly pea flower has a distinctive color, which is purplish blue.
Because of this color, many Indonesian people usually make this flower a decoration. It is not uncommon for butterfly pea flowers to be used as a natural coloring agent for food, making it look much more attractive.
Also Read: Benefits of Indigofera Plants, Nutritious Alternative Feed for Livestock
Benefits of Butterfly Pea Flower as a Natural Herbal
Indonesian people actually know the butterfly pea flower. This is an ornamental plant which is also known as a nutritious herb.
Butterfly pea or Clitoria ternatea is a type of vines, still included in the leguminous family. This plant originates from Tropical Asia and is quite easy to find around the yard.
The flowers have a distinctive color, namely blue, purple, pink, and also white. This plant is also popularly known as teleng flower.
Generally, butterfly pea flowers are popular in Asia as aparajita (Hindi) or do anchan (Thailand). In English, this flower is known by the name blue pea vine, pigeon wings, or butterfly peas.
Content in the Telang Flower
In some neighboring countries, butterfly pea flowers can be used as cake or food coloring. Please note, Thai people also use butterfly pea flowers as tea and refreshments.
The benefits of this herb, of course, come from the ingredients in it. Telang flower is rich in pharmacological content such as tannins, triterpenoids, saponins, plbatanins, flavonoids, steroids, phenols, anthocyanins, alkaloids, essential oils, stigmast-4-en-3, 6-din, and flavonol glycosides.
Not a few studies have also found that the phytochemical content of this herb has antioxidant, anticancer, antidiabetic, analgesic, antacid, antimicrobial, and antipyretic properties.
Also Read: Benefits of Kalikiria Leaves, Overcoming Various Diseases for Beauty!
The Benefits of the Telang Flower
Not only has a beautiful shape, the nutritional content in it is also very beneficial for the body. Here are the benefits:
- The anthocyanins, flavonoids and phenolic compounds are antioxidants and anti-inflammatory so they are good for boosting the body’s immunity.
- Kembang Telang is well known as a medicine for boils or abscesses in traditional medicine.
- Inflammation of the respiratory tract and also bronchitis can be overcome with a decoction of butterfly pea flowers.
- Tea made from butterfly pea flowers is efficacious for removing toxins from the body or detoxification.
- The content in it makes the benefits of butterfly pea flower good for treating menstrual cramps and sexual disorders in women.
- Telang flower roots can treat whooping cough (pertussis). Then the electrolyte compounds in it are also effective in curing asthma.
- The herbal decoction of butterfly pea flowers can launch menstruation and clean dirty blood.
- This butterfly pea flower can be a hair treatment, both for blackening and strengthening the roots.
- The phytochemical content makes the benefits of the butterfly pea flower a diuretic which can expedite urine.
- Wounds caused by falls, sharp objects, or even abrasions can also heal with this herb thanks to its potent phytochemical content to prevent infection.
- Good for brain health because of the content of antioxidants such as flavonoids and anthocyanins in it.
- It can help relieve stress and reduce symptoms of anxiety and depression.
- Anthocyanin compounds in butterfly pea flowers can reduce blood pressure and reduce the risk of heart disease.
Also Read: Benefits of Mint Leaves for the Body, Here’s How to Eat It
Can Fresh Butterfly Pea Flowers Be Brewed Directly?
Actually, the presentation of this butterfly pea flower can be in various ways. Some people suggest waiting for it to dry to a powdery, tea-like consistency.
However, you can also brew fresh butterfly pea flowers directly. Even this way can be more effective because the content is still maintained.
You can pick enough butterfly pea petals, then brew it for 15 minutes with hot water. Then when the petals are no longer blue, throw them away and strain the water.
You can consume water that looks purplish blue as a natural herb in moderation. You can of course mix the water of the butterfly pea flower with honey to make it more delicious. The honey mixture will make the butterfly pea water taste sweet.
To get the benefits of butterfly pea flowers, you can consume in moderation. You can also consult a doctor first so that the dose is according to the body’s needs, so it’s not excessive. (R10/HR-Online)